Overactive bladder, which is also known as OAB is basically a frequent urge to urinate that is difficult to control. It’s not a disease. One feels like they need to pass urine a lot of times during the whole day and even night. In overactive bladder the muscles of the bladder contract on their own even when volume of urine is less in the bladder.
People with OAB also suffer from urgency incontinence (unintentional loss of urine).
OVERACTIVE BLADDER SYMPTOMS:
Overactive bladder has various kinds of symptoms that includes:
- Frequency of urination: Patients with this symptom need to urinate frequently. It’s an increase in the number of times a normal person urinates usually.
- Nocturia: It’s the need to get up and urinate more than twice every night.
- Urinary urgency: This means the person with an overactive bladder has a limited amount of time to go to the bathroom.
- Urgency incontinence: In this there’s a leakage of urine when there’s an urge to urinate.
OVERACTIVE BLADDER CAUSES:
- Diabetes: Diabetic patients tend to have overactive bladder
- Neurological disorders such as sclerosis and strokes
- Hormonal changes during menopause
- Urinary tract infections can also cause symptoms which are similar to those of an overactive bladder
- Bladder stones
- Certain tumors
- Different factors such as enlarged prostate, constipation etc.
Does dehydration cause overactive bladder?
There’s a misconception that if the person with an overactive bladder limits their fluid intake it’ll help with urinary incontinence. Infact, not drinking enough will only distress the bladder and worsen overactive bladder symptoms.
Overactive Bladder Treatment in Pakistan
The treatment of overactive bladder in Pakistan is easily resolved with a the correct doctor consultation. Since the severity of the condition varies from age and condition and the types of incontinence. Usually, a combination of treatments is needed for a successful recovery from frequent urination in women.
The treatments for OAB usually consist of behavior therapy techniques, pelvic muscle exercises, and medications for urinary incontinence. Most common medicine for overactive bladder is Solifen tablet in Pakistan which should ONLY be used when prescribed by your doctor.