Neomycin is used to prevent or treat skin infections caused by bacteria.
- Neomycin is used for the following purposes:
- To decrease the risk of infection after certain intestinal surgeries.
- Neomycin may also be used in conjunction with a special diet to treat hepatic (liver) encephalopathy.
- This medicine is sometimes used to reduce the symptoms of a hepatic (liver) coma.
This medication is contraindicated in patients suffering from intestinal obstruction (blockage of the bowel) and myasthenia gravis (neuromuscular disease leading to skeletal muscle weakness).
Patients administered with this medicine may experience contact dermatitis (itchy, dry, swollen and reddened skin), gastrointestinal upset, ototoxicity (toxic to the ear), nephrotoxicity (toxicity in the kidneys), electrolyte disturbances, raised liver enzymes (biological molecules that speed up the rate of reaction), and hypersensitivity (intolerance).
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember unless it is time for your next dose.
- Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly or without your doctor’s permission.
- Consult a doctor immediately if you experience any undesirable effects.
- Store this medicine at room temperature and away from direct sunlight, heat, and moisture.
- Do not use it after its expiry date.
- Do not use if the quality seal is broken or missing.
- Keep this medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not forget to show up for your kidney, hearing, and urine monitoring tests.
- Always talk to your doctor before taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine with neomycin.
What is this medicine used for?
What special precautions should I follow?
Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to neomycin or any other drugs. Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, including vitamins. Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while using neomycin, call your doctor
What happens if I miss a dose?
Since bacitracin topical is when needed, you are not likely to miss a dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call your healthcare provider
How to store this medication?
Store at 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F)
What type of bacteria does Neomycin kill?
Neomycin is very effective against staphylococci and gram-negative bacilli.
How fast does Neomycin work?
Your symptoms should begin to improve within the first few days of treatment.
Is Neomycin good for pimples?
It does not kill the most common acne causing bacteria, therefore, it will not be effective in fighting against pimples or cystic acne.
Medicines containing neomycin