Acyclovir is an antiviral medicine and helps in the treatment of herpes, chickenpox, and shingles.
An antiviral medication indicated in herpes simplex (a virus causing various abnormalities such as genital sores and inflammation), and varicella-zoster (chickenpox and shingles).
It is contraindicated in case of dehydration & decreased kidney function. Also allergies may occur when used with penciclovir analogues & acyclovir analogues.
Side effects associated with this includes rash, hallucinations, somnolence (strong desire to sleep), photosensitivity (sun-sensitivity), convulsions. Some rare side effects may appear like transient increase in liver enzymes, blood urea & creatinine; acute renal (kidney) failure, hepatitis (liver infection) & jaundice.
- To be taken with or without meal. If taken with meal prevents the chances of GI disturbances.
- It is advised to contact the prescriber in case of muscle pain, fever, acute headache, difficulty urinating, concentrated urine, constant lethargy or in severe nausea & vomiting.
- The therapy courses to be fulfilled even if one starts feeling better.
- Advised to not perform sexual intercourse if visible lesions are present
- Maintain hydration (2-3 liters/day), unless restricted from the prescriber.
What does this medicine treat?
How does it work?
It prevents the multiplication of viruses in human cells and therefore helps in clearing the infection.
What is the right method to use it?
It may be taken with or without food, dissolved in water, and at the exact time as prescribed.
Is there any specific instruction associated with its use?
You are advised to drink plenty of water while on treatment with this medicine, as it will prevent possible dehydration and kidney damage.
Does it completely cure the infection?
It does not cure infections caused by these viruses but helps to minimize the symptoms and shorten the duration of infection.
Does it prevent transmission of infection to others?
No, it does not.
Do elderly patients need to be more careful while using this medicine?
Older adults (over age 65 years) tend to experience more side effects, therefore such patients should be given a lower dose and should be monitored regularly for the vitals.
Medicines containing acyclovir-inforal
By FerozsonsPack size: 5x5's
By FerozsonsPack size: 2x10's
By Abbott LaboratoriesPack size: 1
By FerozsonsPack size: 60ml
By Maxitech PharmaPack size: 5x7's